Okshteyn Igor' Leonidovich, Researcher, laboratory 170, Institute for Theoretical and Experimental Physics, National Research Center “Kurchatov Institute” (25 Bolshaya Cheremushkinskaya street, Moscow, Russia), E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Korneeva Alina Arturovna, Postgraduate student, Lomonosov Moscow State University (1 Leninskiye Gory, Moscow, Russia), E-mail: email@example.com
Mendelevich Asya Vladimirovna, Postgraduate student, Skolkovo Institute of Science and Technology (3 Nobel street, Moscow, Russia), E-mail: Mendelevich@179.ru
Vasil'eva Lyubov' Nikolaevna, Researcher, laboratory of physiology of sensory systems, Institute of Higher Nervous Activity and Neurophysiology of Russian Academy of Sciences (5A Butlerova street, Moscow, Russia), E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Sadovskaya Aleksandra Vyacheslavovna, Student, Lomonosov Moscow State University (1 Leninskiye Gory, Moscow, Russia), E-mail: email@example.com
Galkina Polina Alekseevna, Student, The Moscow in the Southwest № 1543 (building 5, 3 26th Bakinskikh Komissarov, Moscow, Russia), E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Background. Growth of different age groups of Ph. guttatus was studied, measurements of fast growth rate of body length and mass for marked-recaptured individuals were conducted within the last ten days of August for the first time.
Materials and methods. During 2010–2018, growth of labeled Ph. guttatus was studied on a permanent site (1,2 hectares area), temporary marking with a marker and lifelong marking by removing the last finger phalanges according to the classical procedure was used.
Results and conclusions. The dependences of the trunk length and the total body length on the mass were obtained. Rapid growth occurs almost only from the end of April to mid-June and at the end of August and the beginning of September, when animals grow so fast that the absence of growth may be considered for the rest of he time for mature individuals. At least in late August, body weight in adults and aged increases at about the same speed as in young animals. It can be assumed that this increase in weight occurs in the fat accumulation before wintering. Yearlings, hatching from eggs in July-August, by the end of August have time to grow from 23–25 to 28–34 mm. The undertail coloring changes with age: overwintering individuals are mostly under the age of 2 years, overyearlings and old individuals (older than 2 years old) of both sexes have white undertails. The time spent on the surface (without taking into account the possible daily rest in the holes) varied from 7 h 45 min to 9 h 40 min (average 8 h 26 min, n = 6) and weakly correlated with the rate of weight gain (k = 0,3).
1. Polynova G. V., Bazhinova A. V. Aktual'nye problemy ekologii i prirodopol'zovaniya [Actual problems of ecology and nature management]. Moscow: Izd-vo RUDN, 2011, pp. 156–161. [In Russian]
2. Polynova G. V., Mishustin S. S. Vestnik Rossiyskogo universiteta druzhby narodov. Ser.: Ekologiya i bezopasnost' zhiznedeyatel'nosti [Bulletin of Peoples’ Friendship University of Russia. Series: Ecology and life safety]. 2017, vol. 25, no. 3, pp. 431–441. [In Russian]
3. Polynova G. V., Bazhinova A. V., Okshteyn I. L. Voprosy gerpetologii: materialy V s"ezda Gerpetologicheskogo obshchestva im. A. M. Nikol'skogo [Herpetology issues: proceedings of the V congress of the Herpetological society named after A. M. Nikolskiy]. Minsk, 2012, pp. 252–256. [In Russian]
4. Polynova G. V., Bazhinova A. V., Polynova O. E. Vestnik Rossiyskogo universiteta druzhby narodov. Ser.: Ekologiya i bezopasnost' zhiznedeyatel'nosti [Bulletin of Peoples’ Friendship University of Russia. Series: Ecology and life safety]. 2014, no. 4, pp. 11–24. [In Russian]
5. Okshteyn I. L. Vestnik Sankt-Peterburgskogo universiteta. Ser. 3, Biologiya [Bulletin of Saint-Petersburg University. Series 3, Biology]. 2016, iss. 3, pp. 106–111. [In Russian]
6. Polynova G. V., Bazhinova A. V., Okshteyn I. L. Aktual'nye problemy ekologii i prirodopol'zovaniya [Actual problems of ecology and nature management]. 2012, iss. 14, part 1, pp. 210–217. [In Russian]
7. Badmaeva V. I., Mushaev V. Voprosy gerpetologii [Herpetology issues]. 1989, p. 19. [In Russian]
8. Mayhew W. W. Amer. Midl. Nat. 1963, vol. 69, no. 2, pp. 310–327.
9. Tinkle D. W., Woodward D. W. Ecology. 1967, vol. 48, no. 1, pp. 166–168.
10. Smirina E. M., Ananjeva N. B. Amphibia-Reptilia. 2017, vol. 38, no. 1, pp. 31–39.
11. Sergeev A. M. Zoologicheskiy zhurnal [Zoological journal]. 1939, vol. 28, no. 5, pp. 888–903. [In Russian]
12. Cherlin V. A. Termobiologiya reptiliy. Obshchie svedeniya i metody issledovaniy (rukovodstvo) [Thermobiology of reptiles. General information and research methods (guidance)]. Saint-Petersburg: Russko-Baltiyskiy informatsionnyy tsentr «BLITs», 2010, 124 p. [In Russian]